Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The Impossible

It's time for a rant. I need a good, healthy rant. So here it goes....
Yesterday while driving, a song that I haven't heard in a very long time came on the radio. It's called The Impossible by Joe Nichols. If you don't know it, you should definitely take a listen here.
Anyways so the part that's always caught my attention has been the chorus:

Unsinkable ships, sink
Unbreakable walls, break
Sometimes the things you think would never happen
Happen just like that
Unbendable steel, bends
If the fury of the wind is unstoppable
I've learned to never underestimate
The impossible



Yesterday I also realized that it had been a year since my world was completely changed. So it was kind of perfect that that song came on because learning to never underestimate the impossible was one of the main things I learned. Well let's be honest, I didn't learn it a year ago... it took quite some time for the lesson itself to set in, but because of what happened a year ago I learned the lesson. I know, I'm young and naive... But so far in my life that has been the most life changing experience I've had. I had at least the next 5 years of my life planned out... and most of it involved a stupid boy. In all honesty, even with my experience of things not working out, I still don't see anything wrong with my plans. That's where the song comes in. The (at the time what I would've considered) impossible, had happened. We had been dating for over a year, it was some what long distance. By this point he was a freshman at UH and I was a senior in high school out in Katy. Although not far part, we were at different points in our lives. One day we were talking and all of a sudden I realized how much we had changed. When we first started dating, and for the majority of our relationship we wanted all the same things. But at that moment I realized that we no longer did, and I knew it needed to end. That state of mind shows off my way-too-mature-for-my-age kind of thinking. As for my naive self... I was hoping that when I ended it he would miss me and decide to change and we could be together again. Ha... As barely an 18 year old it turned my world upside down and changed every plan I had ever made for my future. Which is quite a catastrophe at that age. And of course after we broke up he told me things that he had been keeping from me and I over reacted and things blew up into a huge dramatic mess. But that's a whole separate issue that I've learned to let go of, because quite honestly it's his life and not mine, and it's all in the past so it doesn't even matter. Again naive, I know, but losing him was the last thing I ever expected to happen. At that point I had never imagined him not being apart of my life. Breaking up with him was one of the hardest things I've done. But the thing is... And I don't know how to put this in words... I honestly didn't do it on my own. I don't remember a lot of what happened the month following the break up. I just remember it being easy to move on. When you know what's right and you make the decision to follow through, you aren't alone. That's another thing I learned. Although that first month was easier than I thought I'd be, I kind of lost it after that when I found out he had a new girlfriend. I don't know, I didn't want him back. It just hurt. That's all. And it continued to hurt, honestly up until the end of summer when I left to move to College Station. At that point I could finally say I was over everything. And today the only thing I regret is that I'll never have that friendship back. I tried. But it's gone. Maybe one day it'll change. But I've stopped planning ahead. I'm okay, I promise. I'm just really good at keeping things in and I needed to let it out. So that's my rant. "I've learned to never underestimate the impossible".

No comments:

Post a Comment